Monday, February 4, 2013

First Megan Hilty Single: No Cure!

As many of you know, Megan Hilty has an album coming out on March 9th called It Happens All The Time. (See previous post for more on the whole album) Today, Megan tweeted,

"I have a single!!! You can check it out on my        brand spankin new website meganhilty.com"

Upon further investigation, I found out the new single is called No Cure and is a duet. The sound is almost contemporary pop and has been called country by some fans. This could be the song co-written by Carrie Underwood. The beat is catchy and the singing soft. Very different from the Broadway belts we are used to hearing. 

The story told by the lyrics seem to run parallel to that of Ivy Lynn, Megan's character on the NBC hit, Smash. "All of this medicine that I keep taking, it ain't workin', I keep hurtin'," says the song. Ivy Lynn tried to overdose last season on Smash, due to many things including her tumultuous relationship with on-and-off boyfriend Derek. And my favorite lyric, "I keep trying' to pull out of this spiral that I'm in," describes Ivy Lynn's journey heading into season two. She is drowning in relationship and career woes, trying to pick herself up. 

But enough about Ivy, the song is about trying to use medicine to numb the pain of a very hard fall out of a relationship. The chorus repeats "What if there's no cure?" The song shows the helplessness that is felt when trying to distance yourself from someone you truly loved and thought you knew. 

This song makes me excited for the entire album, but judge for yourself at Megan's new website meganhilty.com. Tell me what you think in the comments! And also follow us on Twitter @VoiceOfIvy

 

No comments:

Post a Comment