Sunday, June 16, 2013

Concert in Port Washington Landmark on Mainstreet

For Christmas, I received tickets to see Megan Hilty on June 15th! It was a whirlwind experience... 
We arrived at a HUGE building with many different entrances! After walking around the entire perimeter of the building we found a daycare center and a senior center attached to the back of a small theatre. The venue seemed small, but it was the perfect setting for an intimate show. While waiting, I checked my Twitter and found out that Matt Cusson was playing with Megan too! Yay! The theatre doors were eventually opened and people trickled in. An hour later(because you know we were there that early) Megan appeared onstage in black jeans and a shimmery gold top. My heart was racing! After just a nod to Matt at the piano, Megan jumped right in belting out They Just Keep Moving The Line! The crowd was now alive! She introduced Matt, her personality surfacing in the form of hair flips and heel kicks. An spectrum of songs began, each preceded by an explanation of its story and meaning to her. Bye Bye Baby and Be a Man were followed by the duet Suddenly Seymour from Little Shop accompanied by her boyfriend Brian Gallagher. Onto a song I didn't know about the life of a strong singer with a large range who is always put as an alto. This one made me laugh! Next was the classic The Man That Got Away and a Sinatra Medley as performed at her Carnegie Hall debut. A duet about love was sang by Matt and Megan followed by comments from Matt about the awkward level of singing a song of that nature to Brian's girlfriend while Brian was on the stage watching. We were then transported to the Smashiverse with Megan's soft vocals on Secondhand White Baby Grand and then an excellent duet of That's Life with Matt playing Kat, giggles erupting from the duo as Megan looks at Matt keeping the original Smash lyrics calling Matt a wife. All too soon, Megan was announcing her final song, Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend, thankfully with three encores all of which were performed. A standing ovation was followed by another encore performance of Popular, Megan teasing Brian as being her Elphaba. The concert ended with a sad Muppets song. As soon as she had entered, she disappeared. 
Dying for a chance to meet Megan, I approached a man standing regally in front other he curtain leading backstage and, as If reading my mind, he told me she would not be making an appearance. Slightly devastated and ever determined, we wound around the side of the building to what looked like a stage type door. In a window on the second floor, I could see a blonde head bobbing around. So close to meeting her at this point, I was struggling. After waiting there alone for a few minutes, some locals came by. The boy explained that the green room was right up the stairs behind a mysteriously open door. After some prodding, our moms convinced us to run up into the room. At the top of the stairs stood Megan. (And you know what, she's just a normal person.) Brian and Matt chilled at a table behind her. Megan was so sweet! Here was our conversation, it kind of all happened at once:
Me: Hi Megan! Will you sign my phone case?
Megan: Of course! Who is that? That's ME! (she laughs)
Brian: I have one of those too (wink)
Entourager: Ooh! Meg! Let me get your picture with that case!(She holds my phone case up next to her face and he snaps picture of it)
Megan: You sure you want me to sign this? I don't wanna ruin it!
Me: YES! You can't ruin it!(she signs it, Matt and Brian walk over from table they were sitting at)
Me: I came from Michigan to see you guys.
Megan, Matt, Brian, and entourage: Wow! That's far! That's cool! Wow!
Brian: YOU'RE BAILEY!
Me: (super shocked he recognized me) Yup!
Matt: BAILEY FORD, right?
Me: Yea! You all tweeted me Happy Birthday last week!
Brian, Matt, Megan: Yea! Mmhmm, we did. (Head nodding)
Me: That made my day!
Megan: Aw! Well good, I'm glad!
Me: Hey Matt and Brian will you sign my program too?(they sign)
Brian: Meg, look at her shirt!
Megan: Wow! That's cool too! You draw it?
Me: Mmhmm, I did.
Matt: That is pretty sweet looking.
Me: Can I get a picture with you too?
Megan: Of course! (I hand phone to a lady and she takes two pics of us! Ah!)
Me: Well thank you so much you guys! This made my whole trip!
Megan: No problem! So great we got to meet you!
Matt: Yeah! Good to finally meet you!
Me: Amazing to meet you guys! Thanks so much! (Turns around and nearly runs into the suddenly appearing security guard, *gulp*)

I ran out and had a freak out moment of disbelief that I'd just had a freaking CONVERSATION with MEGAN HILTY! Not to mention Matt Cusson and Brian Gallagher! What!?! Best night ever, going to be a hard one to top!

1 comment: